Supervised By : Nursing Supervisor / Rebecca Calhoun
POSITION / INDIVIDUALS SUPERVISED : None
POSITION PURPOSE :
The purpose of the Medical Assistant is to assist in providing a safe environment for individuals while they are in the treatment center. The Medical Assistant assists in the detox admission process, answers patient quest ion s and assists patient in adjusting to the detox program routine. The Medical Assistant also assists in Residential level of care assessments, vitals and non-controlled medications. The Medical Assistant will assist Nursing and BHT’ s in every day needs if needed. The Medical Assistant is the liaison be tween the patient and the nL1rsing staff to report any changes in the patient ‘ s physical or mental condition. The Medical Assistant IS responsible for supervising patients during the program with emphasis on patient safety and wellbeing.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONSEDUCATION :
- EDUCATION : Graduation from High School or GED. Must have working knowledge of 12 Step community based recovery. Medical Assistant Certificate.
- EXPERIENCE : Medical Assistant, Knowledge of Medication, Experience wit h Vitals. Will Train.
- LICENSURE / CERTIFICATION : Current CPR
- KNOWLEDGE AND TRAINING REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE :
- General knowledge of addictions and mental health complications.
- General knowledge of Medication Safety Observation.
- General knowledge of The 5 Rights of Medication.
- General knowledge of 12-Step Recovery Program.
- Knowledge and competency in problem solving, stress management , ethics and team building.
- General knowledge of alcohol and other drugs that includes:
- Alcohol and addictive drugs and their physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual impact on the individual.
- Alcohol and addictive d rugs and their impact on the family.
- Ability to determine if a medical emergency exists and to take appropriate action, when necessary.
- Knowledge of emergency procedures used in case of alcohol and / or drug overdose.
- Knowledge of the stages of alcohol and other drug withdrawals and ability to take appropriate action at each stage.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and Municipal laws and/or regulations that regulate the treatment of alcoholism and drug addiction, including:
- Patient Rights
- Professional Code of Ethics
- Knowledge of airborne and blood borne pathogens (TB, HJV, AIDS, HB) and risk reduction methodologies and the use of universal precautions.
- Flexibility to adapt to schedule changes and assumption of responsibilities not delineated in the job description which are related to work as a member of an addiction treatment team.
- AGE SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS SERVED / RESPONSIBILITY : Adult
- SECURITY MEASURERS AND CLEARANCE : None
- EMPLOYEE CLASSIFICATION : Non- Exempt