Ohio Treatment Centers to Stay Sober During College
Gone are the days when going to college and drinking to access were synonymous. Over the past decade, there has been a big push towards sober college living groups and events. Some universities, such as Florida Atlantic University, even have sober tailgate parties at their home football games. If you or your child are in the process of deciding on what college to attend, and are worried about the prevalence of drinking at American colleges and universities, keep in mind that there are many ways to successfully attend college, be accepted and have fun while remaining sober, especially after you’ve been to our Ohio treatment centerThank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Sober Living in College
If you’ve recently completed our Ohio treatment program and are headed off to college this fall, the last thing you want to be confronted with is a bunch of hard-drinking freshmen. Fortunately, there are a number of programs at colleges and universities around the United States that promote sober living. Below are just a few examples:
- Recovery House at Rutgers University. Launched in 1988, Recovery House was one of the first college living facilities of its kind. This sober dorm provides facilities and supports to help make it easier for students in recovery to stay sober and succeed at college. In addition to the dorm, the program includes sober events, 12-step meetings and Residence Advisors who have at least a year of sobriety.
- Case Western Reserve University Recovery House. Students at Cleveland’s Case Western Reserve University established Sober House in 2004 to help meet the needs of the increasing number of students in drug or alcohol recovery programs. Recovery House is an apartment complex located adjacent to campus, run by students in recovery. In addition to housing, the location sponsors sober events for residents.
- Sober living program at Augsburg University (Minnesota). Augsburg University’s Sober Living program goes a step further than most college recovery support programs. This residential program, which was founded 15 years ago, includes accountability into the support equation, with curfews and random drug tests as well as fun, sober activities and 12-step meetings.
- University of Michigan Collegiate Recovery Program. The University of Michigan is often associated with their championship sports team. And, with that goes pre-game drinking. To provide a sober alternative to that lifestyle, Michigan launched its Collegiate Recovery Program (CRP) nearly a decade ago. This program provides a wide range of services to support students in recovery, including case management and check-ins, 12-step meetings, group support and fun sober events with other students.
- Cessation of Responsible Behavior. If your loved one starts missing work or school on a regular basis, look for other signs of addiction. Addicts may also suffer from the aftereffects of a drug or alcohol binge and feel ill and unable to work.
To learn more about getting sober and successfully attending college while living sober, contact Lumiere Healing Centers, our Ohio treatment center today at 513-909-2225. We’re committed to helping you live the best and healthiest life possible.
Free, Confidential Insurance Verification
Get Help Today! We are Experts in Addiction Treatment
Addiction is a condition that must be treated with care, dignity, and respect. We believe that it takes a staff of caring and professional experts to deliver the kind of treatment that our clients deserve. When you come to us for help, we want you to feel a warm welcome the moment you walk through the front door of our Ohio drug rehab.